I got a message from a screen-reader user of The Session recently, letting me know of a problem they were having. I love getting any kind of feedback around accessibility, so this was like gold dust to me.
They pointed out that the drag’n’drop interface for rearranging the order of tunes in a set was inaccessible.
Of course! I slapped my forehead. How could I have missed this?
It had been a while since I had implemented that functionality, so before even looking at the existing code, I started to think about how I could improve the situation. Maybe I could capture keystroke events from the arrow keys and announce changes via ARIA values? That sounded a bit heavy-handed though: mess with people’s native keyboard functionality at your peril.
Then I looked at the code. That was when I realised that the fix was going to be much, much easier than I thought.
I documented my process of adding the drag’n’drop functionality back in 2016. Past me had his progressive enhancement hat on:
One of the interfaces needed for this feature was a form to re-order items in a list. So I thought to myself, “what’s the simplest technology to enable this functionality?” I came up with a series of
selectelements within a form.
The problem was in my feature detection:
There’s a little bit of mustard-cutting going on: does the
dragulaobject exist, and does the browser understand
querySelector? If so, the
selectelements are hidden and the drag’n’drop is enabled.
The logic was fine, but the execution was flawed. I was being lazy and hiding the
select elements with
display: none. That hides them visually, but it also hides them from screen readers. I swapped out that style declaration for one that visually hides the elements, but keeps them accessible and focusable.
It was a very quick fix. I had the odd sensation of wanting to thank Past Me for making things easy for Present Me. But I don’t want to talk about time travel because if we start talking about it then we’re going to be here all day talking about it, making diagrams with straws.
I pushed the fix, told the screen-reader user who originally contacted me, and got a reply back saying that everything was working great now. Success!
This was originally posted on my own site.